3.08.2012

Cranberry Currant Granola







Granola.
Not just for hippies anymore.













A Couple of Things:
This recipe is pretty much directly from the book Babycakes Covers the Classics. I changed it up a little, but not much. In my first week of our plant based whole foods diet I've checked out 3 books from the library and though I wasn't sure how much there would be to learn from a vegan baking book I can't believe how much I didn't know! This granola can be made with regular oats or use gluten-free oats which makes this a completely gluten-free snack (!). You can change up the type of dried fruits and nuts to your liking, but I think the spices and sweetness are just right.

Ingredients:
4 Cups Oats (regular or gluten-free)
1 tsp. Salt
1 Tbsp. Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp. Ground Ginger
1 1/2 Cups Unsweetened Coconut
1 Cup Raw Almonds
1/2 C Dried Cranberries
1/2 C Dried Currants
1/3 C Melted Refined Coconut Oil (or Canola)
1/3 C Light Agave Nectar


Process:
Preheat the oven to 350(F).
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl mix the oats, salt, cinnamon, ginger, coconut, almonds, and dried berries.
Add the coconut oil and agave nectar, toss to cover.
Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes, stir, and continue baking for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove.
Cool.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment