7.29.2011

Edamame Mango Salad

I think this might be the easiest thing I have ever made.

The flavors are well balanced. Light, fresh, healthy and delicious.  It's the perfect side dish for just about any summer meal, but I also like to put it over some fresh leafy greens and eat it as a stand alone dish.

If you're motivated and fairly efficient with a kitchen knife you can be done with this in 15 minutes start to finish.

A couple of things..

I had some extra jalapenos from making the Jamaican Jerk Chicken Sandwiches so I chopped those up and added them to the salad.  I hardly notice them, but I think I'd leave them out if I were serving this to a crowd.

Also, I didn't see any good looking fresh corn at the store, but that would be a great addition to this salad. Frozen corn would work just as well, I just have a strange aversion to it.  Probably some childhood frozen corn trauma that I've blocked out.  It's cool.  I'm fine with it.

Ingredients:
One Bag Frozen Shelled Edamame
1 Medium Red Onion
2 Medium Avocados
2 Ripe Mangoes
1/2 Bunch of Cilantro
2 Limes
1/2-1 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp. Cumin
Salt



Cook the edamame in salted water as directed, once the water boils the beans are ready in about 3 minutes.  While the water is getting going dice the onion and chop the avocados and mangoes.  Put them in a medium sized bowl as you go, the bowl you plan to serve or store the dish in would be ideal.  When the edamame is done drain into a collander and rinse with cool water.  Add the beans to the mango mixture.  Rinse the cilantro, chop it roughly, add it to the bowl.

For the dressing: Juice the 2 limes into a smaller bowl, add the cumin and cayenne.  Give it a little stir.  I think 1 Tsp. of cayenne is fine, but if you're a spice wimp or have children you might want to start with 1/2 Tsp. just to be safe.

Pour the dressing over the salad and mix to coat.  (The lime will keep everything else from browning.)
Salt to taste.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment