8.08.2011

Sweet Chili Chicken

I honestly don't really know where this one came from.  I remember seeing something like it sometime in the last year, but with the way my memory seems to work this is either an exact replica or it's a combination of about four things that I somehow merged together.  Anyway, It's good.  It's not spicy yet still has good flavor.  Put it over some rice and you've got yourself a meal.








A couple of things:

I used Olive Oil for this, technically a high heat oil would probably be best.  I like to use Spectrum oils, but since I was out I used my Extra Virgin Olive Oil and it worked just fine. I think any oil that is light in flavor would work. 

I had forgotten all about my new microplane when I started making this dish.  I was barely awake and without coffee (it's the only excuse I've got) when I had the bright idea to slice the ginger into thin rounds and squeeze it through the garlic press.  I was so proud of myself, how inventive.  The lesson you should take from my experience is use a microplane or other grater for the ginger, if that's too much trouble mince it.  I put one little round of ginger, about as thick as a quarter, in my press and though I was barely squeezing it (as in way less pressure than to press a clove of garlic) the handle snapped right off.  So that night at work I put my Amazon account back to work for me and promptly ordered a new and improved, stainless steel, garlic press.  This one should last me the rest of my life so long as I don't get any big ideas.

By all means if you have access to fresh pineapple for this recipe use it.  I was being lazy and I already had a can of the pineapple rings in the house.  I think they worked exceptionally well for this though because they are sliced so thin.  We love pineapple in our food so I used about 3/4 of a can.  I cut the rings into eighths and they were just the right size to create the light sweetness I was looking for to balance out the heavy flavor of the chili powder. 

Ingredients:
1 lb. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
5 Cloves Garlic
Fresh Ginger, 1" piece peeled and grated
1/4 Medium Red Onion
1/2 Bunch of Cilantro
5-6 Tbsp. Olive Oil (or other light oil)
3 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
3 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
1/2 to 3/4 can Pineapple, Chunks or Rings, Drained

Process:
Prep first, this goes together quick:
Rinse the chicken and cut into bite sized pieces.
Press the garlic into a small bowl.
Grate or mince the ginger, add to the garlic.
Slice the onion and cut into reasonable size pieces.

Coat the bottom of large heavy pan with 5-6 Tbsp. of olive oil over medium to medium-high heat.  When the oil starts to get hot add the chili powder, stirring it in for about a minute while it infuses into the oil. Now add the garlic, ginger and onion, stir to coat, cook until the onions soften up a bit, probably about 4 minutes. Add the tomato paste, mix well.  Add the chicken, mix well.  Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is done. 

While the chicken is cooking:
Wash and rough chop the cilantro.
Slice the pineapple, or don't.  You can have it your way.

When chicken is fully cooked add the pineapple, mix well, top with fresh cilantro.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I want this right now. *drool*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Nessa's comment. I must go to the store right now and get the stuff to make it.

    ReplyDelete