8.04.2011

Beef on Weck

 Unless you're from New York, or specifically western New York you've probably never heard of Kummelweck bread.  I know I hadn't.  One of my housemates is from Buffalo, and a little while back she was on a mission to find one of these sandwiches.  It never happened so I started doing my homework, and I'm so happy I did!  This is an amazing sandwich, so delicious!!







It turns out kummelweck is a german bread, and you're pretty much not going to find it anywhere.  It's much like a kaiser roll with caraway seeds and kosher salt on top.  Not being a bread maker I decided to fake it.  I made my first ever pilgrimage to the only German bakery I know in town and bought fresh kaiser rolls.  They were covered in poppy seeds, which I could easily have removed with a brush of my hand, but I decided to leave them to see how it went.  It was good, but for the sake of authenticity I think I will remove them next time.

Makes 6

Ingredients:

6 Kaiser Rolls
Handfull of Caraway Seeds
Kosher Salt
2 Tbsp. Butter
Horseradish
---------------
Roast Beef with Red Wine Au Jus

Process:

Heat the oven to 350 (F)
Melt the butter and brush over the top of the buns.
Apply a generous portion of caraway seeds and kosher salt to the top of the buns, put them in the oven on a baking sheet for about 5-7 minutes.

Slice the buns in half lengthwise and dip the bottom bun in the Au Jus. Top with thinly sliced Roast Beef and ladle more Au Jus over the top of the meat.

Top with horseradish.  Serve with a pickle.  Fries would be a good match as well.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment