2.21.2018

Scones! Unbelievably GF & SF!



One of them looks like Nevada, but they tasted amazing!
Scones!! GF & SF!!
I was at my local market the other day just minding my own business when I heard a whisper from behind the cheese counter, “hey.”
I looked over to see a tall man with convincing eyes, we made eye contact.
“Do you want to try something amazing?”
I looked at him and stepped closer conveying clearly without words, “are you serious? You’re standing behind the most amazing selection of cheese in the city. Really, what kind of question is that? Of course I do.” 
He went to a refrigerator in the back and brought out a soft cheese and put it on a spoon for me to try. 
Oh. My. God. 
This was the kind of cheese that you would give up sex for, at least for one day, ok, an afternoon. It was a honey vanilla cheese from Black Sheep Creamery in Adna, Washington (check them out blacksheepcreamery.com). I put the spoon down and said, "yeah, I’m going to need one of those containers.” I had no idea what the price was, it was going to be worth it.
While wandering the store the euphoria started to wear off and I realized I was going to need to put this in or on something. Right? I convinced myself it would be hard to justify eating it with a spoon and decided a nice scone was in order. Then I remembered I’m not supposed to eat gluten anymore. Damn. I was going to have to try making a gluten-free scone and I was sure it was going to be a disaster. 
I meant to take a picture when I made
my plate, but I got distracted!
I altered everything about the way I've ever made scones and I’ll be honest, I’m pretty impressed. They’re a bit more spongey and moist than the scones I used to make, but in a good way, and still appropriately crumbly. The result was actually shocking. As in, I was comfortable serving these, with the cheese of course, for a dinner party dessert to a bunch of gluten fanatics (I used to be in the club with them), and they were a hit! We warmed the couple that were left over in the oven and enjoyed them for breakfast over the next couple of days.




Ingredients:


3 cups Bob’s Redmill Paleo flour

1/2 cup Swerve sugar substitute 

5 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup cold butter

1 egg, beaten

1 cup coconut milk




Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). 

Lightly grease a baking sheet or simply use a baking mat.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. 

Cut in butter. 

Mix the egg and milk in a small bowl, and stir into flour mixture until moistened.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. 

Roll dough out into a 1/2-3/4 inch thick round. Cut into 8 wedges, and place on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake 15-20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment