12.01.2011

Coconut Pumpkin Tapioca

The pumpkin theme has been going strong around here lately and apparently it hasn't gone unnoticed. One of my super fun, food loving, coworkers sent me a request for this so of course I had to make it. Not being a big tapioca fan I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out, but it was actually quite good, I think the coconut milk really makes it. It can be served hot which gives it a delicious rice pudding feel or chilled for what I'm told is nearly perfect tapioca pudding.  I'll let you be the judge of that.







A Couple of Things:
The Kabocha pumpkin is a Japanese varietal.  They are tough to cut up, but once they're steamed they have a smooth texture and a lovely mild pumpkin flavor.  I almost literally stumbled across this pumpkin in the asian market the other day, but if you can't find a Kabocha any pumpkin or butternut squash will be the perfect substitute. This recipe was on NPR and is the creation of Mark Matsumoto.






Ingredients:
1 1/2 Cups Milk
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup Small Pearl Tapioca
1 Can Coconut Milk (13.5oz)
1 Cup Kabocha Pumpkin, cut into 1/4" cubes








Process:
Bring the milk and sugar to simmer over medium heat. Add the tapioca, stirring continuously for the first five minutes so it doesn't clump. Continue stirring frequently until the tapioca pearls are almost completely translucent and the mixture thickens.

Add the coconut milk and turn the heat to low. Continue cooking until the tapioca pearls are transluscent.

Steam the pumpkin until it's soft enough to mash. I put the cubes in a small collander and set that inside a large pot with about 1/4" of water on the bottom. I kept the water at a slow boil and covered the pot until the pumpkin was tender.

Mash the pumpkin and add it to the finished tapioca.

Serve hot or cold.

Enjoy!!

1 comment: