7.16.2011

Mexican Rice

Many years ago one of my best friends taught me a few of the cooking tricks he picked up while living in southern California.  This is my absolute favorite.  Seriously, everyone loves it.  If you follow the recipe as it is it's pretty difficult to fail.

So a couple of things about this recipe...

I like spicy foods and to me this is not spicy at all, but I understand some people are a little bit more sensitive.  If you're a spice wimp I recommend mixing the finished product with some unseasoned beans in a tortilla, I have yet to meet anyone who can't handle this that way.  If that really doesn't work out you can cut the salsa amount down and replace the missing liquid with water.  I've never done this so I can't attest to the flavor, but it would still cook up the same.



I always try to use fresh vegetables in whatever I'm making, but this rice will do great with things that have been sitting around a couple of days.  I usually mix 1/2 of one type of bell pepper and 1/2 of another to give it more color.  I like the mild flavors of yellow and orange bell peppers, but it doesn't matter what type you use at all, just total of about one full pepper.  Also, I think a nice fresh red onion is they way to go, but today as I was making this I found I was without one so I used half of a large Walla Walla I had.  It turned out great.

Save the fancy rice for something else.  I always use cheap white rice in this recipe, it just works better.  I buy mine in the Mexican grocery section at the supermarket.  Also, the El Pato is great.  It's also available in the Mexican aisle at the grocery, but it's much cheaper at local Mexican markets if you happen to live near one.  If for some reason you can't find it at all you can substitute any smooth Mexican style red salsa, I often do this when I find great deals on other brands.  







Ingredients: 

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup medium or long grain white rice
1 bell pepper, diced 
1 medium onion, preferably red, diced
1 can El Pato red salsa 
1 cup water







Directions:
Use a large pan with tall sides and a lid.  Put the olive oil in the pan over medium heat, add the rice and toss it together.  As it warms up the rice will start to brown.  This is what we want.  Use a spatula or wooden spoon to keep it moving.  Once you start to see a little bit of browning toss in the bell pepper and onion.  Mix it all together for a couple of minutes.  If you start to see any sign of the rice burning (usually it leaves little black impressions of rice grains on the bottom of the pan or the rice will blacken itself) then add the water, it doesn't really matter if the vegetables have only been in there a minute, don't burn the rice.  When you add the water it will start to boil instantly in the pan, immediately add the El Pato sauce.  Give it a stir to mix it all together.

It will quickly come back up to a simmer, when it does turn the heat to low and put a cover on it.  Set a timer for 20 minutes.  At the end of 20-25 minutes (depending on your stove) it should be done.  If you're not sure how to tell just take a little bite out with a fork and try it.  Then use your wooden spoon or other favorite utensil to fluff it up.  Viola! You can now be the hero of the Mexican themed pot luck.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon!
    I bookmarked your new site and will be passing along the info.
    This is very similar to my own recipe. Will try it soon.

    ~K!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gina renee16.7.11

    This looks super easy and awesome - just how I like cooking to be! Can't wait to see what other tasty recipes you post..

    ReplyDelete